Do you ever cross a scent that instantly puts you in flashback mode? There's something about sauteed onions that do that for me. Somehow my grandmother could saute onions in butter and send all of our appetites into overdrive. Even if nothing else was cooking!
I was recently given a beautiful cookbook called "Artfully Done" in conjuction with the Wichita Art Museum. It's a beautiful book full of great recipes and gorgeous artwork from their collection. And to that there is also a great story behind it.
In my discussion with the gift giver, we both agreed how much we love our cookbooks or recipe cards. Some of my most treasured items are the recipe cards in my box that are written in a family members writing. Those great little church recipe books, with a frayed cover or broken spine. I have a ton of cookbooks most of which I do not even crack open but can't bear to part with. Hmm that might free up another cabinet in the kitchen!
I any case, those great memories come flowing back so quickly when I start sauteing onions or pull one of those carefully handwritten cards with words like Oleo on them. There's such a reward in creating those family recipes and sharing them with others. Feeding people can feed your soul.
Friday, November 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I found a chapstick in my coat pocket that I had used the previous winter, and the second I smelled it I was taken back to the previous winter, and all the memories I had, nice post :)
ReplyDelete